This obituary appeared in the Lucas County Notes and Shakin' the Family Tree Volume 12 issue 1 in 2007
On the 15th of June, 1912, there was called to his final rest one of the oldest and most esteemed pioneers of Lucas County in Parkison Williams, who had been brought to Warren Township by his parents when a child of but four years, in 1845, and who had made that township his home and the field of his activities to the time of his death, which occurred when he had reached the age of seventy years. Parkison Williams was born in Decatur County, Indiana, on the 3rd of November, 1841. His parents were Samuel and Susan (Swiney) Williams, natives of Virginia. The father was one of the heroes of the Civil War, meeting his death at the battle of Pea Ridge in 1864, his wife surviving until 1881., when she passed away in Wayne County, Iowa. They came overland to Iowa in 1845, bringing with them their four-year-old son Parkison, and settled in Warren Township, Lucas County, so that they must be counted among the very first pioneers in this section. At that time there was no indication of the wonderful agricultural development that should later ensue and settlements were yet very sparse, the land being mostly raw, unbroken prairie. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Williams were the parents of the following children: Parkison; Mrs. Margaret Wells; John, also a Civil War veteran, who died in the hospital at Rolla, Missouri, while in the Union army; Ned; Mrs. Marjorie Tuttle; Mrs. Martha Fent; Mrs. Mary I. Wilson; and Mrs. Jennie Tuttle. The seven younger children were born near Freedom, where all of them were reared.
Parkison Williams, being brought to Warren Township in 1845, there received his education and early became acquainted with agricultural methods under pioneer conditions. Gradually he made himself independent and successfully followed farming and stock-raising through all his life, his efforts being attended with considerable success. His death took place near where the first settlement of the family was made, on June 15, 1912 and was the cause of deep mourning and regret not only to his family but to the many friends which he had made during a long honorable and useful career.
Parkison Williams was united in marriage, in 1860, to Sarah J. Essex, who was born in Eagle Village, Indiana, July 8, 1844. She came overland to Iowa with her parents in 1855, when eleven years old, and has made her home in Lucas County since. Her parents, Edward and Salena G. (Guge) Essex, natives of Indiana, both passed away in Lucas County, the father dying in Lincoln Township. In their family were six children, of whom Mrs. Williams and Mrs. T.J. Hawkins are the only ones now living. The others were James M., Mary E., Anna E., and one who died in childhood. Mr. and Mrs. Parkison Williams became the parents of eleven children: Mrs. Etta Tuttle, residing in Wayne County; Mrs. Elizabeth Ryan, also a resident of that county; Samuel L., who is mentioned under that caption; Mrs. Anna Wilson, of Centerville, Iowa; Mrs. William Connor, of Chariton, Iowa; Dr. C. E. Williams, of Russell, Iowa; Mrs. Nora McInnes, residing in Chariton; Mrs. Hattie Layton, of Wayne County; Salene, a native of Wayne County, Iowa, who makes her home with her mother in Chariton. All of the children were reared and educated in Lucas County, and Mrs. Wilson, Mrs. Connor and Miss Salene, after completing the public-school course, took up academic work. The family home in Chariton is commodious and well furnished. Miss Salene Williams has for a number of years most successfully taught school in Lucas County and for the coming year has been selected to take charge of the sixth grade of the Columbus school of Chariton. She takes a deep interest in her work and is recognized as one of the most efficient teachers in the city. Mrs. Wilson and Mrs. Connor also taught school for a number of years.
His political views inclined Parkison Williams toward the republican party and he was actively and helpfully interested in all matters of public importance. For a number of years he served as justice of the peace and discharged the duties of that office with great impartiality and to the satisfaction of the general public. He was a member of and deacon in the Baptist Church, both he and his wife having joined that denomination near Freedom, where they were charter members of the Sharon Church. The family formerly also owned one hundred and twenty acres of land in Lucas County, which, however, has been disposed of. The death of Mr. Williams was a severe loss not only to his immediate family but to his locality, for he had always actively participated in all matters pertaining to the general welfare and did much toward advancement and progress in this section, especially along agricultural lines. His name is held in high repute by his friends and neighbors, who found in him a man of high qualities of mind and character.