Friday, May 28, 2010

George Steinbach Interview 1975

In the past many interviews were conducted with people living in Lucas County and those cassette tapes are now starting to lose their content and are deteriorating.  Frank asked Darlene if she would transcribe them to save the valuable content.  The following transcription is one of the interviews.  There will be more placed on the blog in the future.

George Steinbach - interviewed by Norma Pim on April 18, 1975
(Note:  This tape seems to be out of order and some of it is cut off)

Well, in the summertime, when I was out of school, I would always go with them out to bring the cattle in from Johnnie's farm.  That was about 9 to 10 miles north of town.  They had a big feedlot and we would bring them to town and put them out at the slaughterhouse for a week or ten days and go get some more.  This one particular day, we would take the team of horses and hitch them to our buckboard with two saddles.  The saddles were in the buckboard.  We would go out there in the afternoon and the next morning we would come to town with the cattle.  We would leave the buggy and the harness and Uncle Bill, most generally, would have them the next time he came to town.  They had about 2 or 3 of those buggies.  He would tie the buggy up behind his rig and bring the outfit back to town for us so we would have it next time we needed it.  We would ride the horses to town.

This one particular morning we were right out here where the Chariton Manor is now and S.H. Mallory had a coach team and Rasmus Ervin, a little colored boy, he was the one doing the driving.  He used to work for Ed Jones.  He was driving this coach team out there, a pair of blacks, and it was a nice team.  They were trotting along and Uncle Frank was doing the driving and he wasn't going to poke along behind that coach team so he pulled out and went around him.  That called for a race.  We ran until we out by McDonald's, the old Milnes place.  We out ran him just like that.  Those saddle horses were quick on the trigger.  Well, we laughed about it and the next day we came back to town and we got to the market and Dad was so mad, I have never seen him so mad in my life.  He was jumping up and down.  We didn't know what he was talking about.  Uncle Frank said, "Wait a minute, you are all hopped up and I want to know what is going on."  What happened was the meat market that he was operating was next to the State Savings Bank.  There were three rooms there.  Where the First State Bank is today there were three rooms.  One room on the alley was the State Savings Bank, the middle room was where dad had the market and the other room is where Andy Holmes had the cigar store.  All three of those rooms belonged to Mrs. Thayer, the daughter of Mr. Mallory.  When Rasmus went back there he told one of the other guys, one of their custodians, what had happened, they told Mrs. Thayer.  She had Rasmus bring her right to town and gave dad a 30-day eviction notice.  That is what he was so mad about.

We said,"Where will you go?"  There isn't an empty room in town.  But across the alley A.E. Dorn had a clothing store in there and they failed.  In three weeks he was going to have a public auction to sell that building.  Old Bill Kuhl came in the market one day and he told dad, he said, "Herman, I got a building on three sides of the square and I'm going to get my fourth one now."  Dad had figured on buying it, you see.  So he gets a hold of an old land dealer, Charley Noble, and he told Charley what Bill had told him.  He said, "Charley, I am not even going out on the street.  I don't care what it cost, buy it!"  So, he put Charley out there in the street and Charley bought it.  After Bill Kuhl found out who bought it, he was not very happy.
( This will be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment