From the Chariton Leader of July 12, 1955
With its castle-like tower a pile of brick at its base, the famed "Mallory Castle" takes one of her last looks over the peaceful valley to the south before contractor sledge and ropes haul her down from decades of mastery as the Ilion. Hardly resembling her former self without the tower and cornice pieces, the building is being razed to permit the construction of a new housing addition in Chariton. It will be adjacent to the high school athletic field, National Guard Armory and city swimming pool. Dave Hafferty isin charge of razing operation.