Grassy slopes dotted with hundreds of showy white flowering trees leave little doubt as to the reason for Red Haw Hill being the name picked for the State park near the city of Chariton. This springtime treat is a sight to behold and many park visitors drive long distances to see the sight. Redbud, crab apple, plums and locust trees also add to this spring spectacle. At least two of the more than one hundred species of hawthorns native to North America can be found here. As fall draws near, each of the many flowered clusters produces oval, scarlet fruits about one-half inch long. The attractive, though dry and mealy, apple-like fruits are red to orange in color and are guarded by 1 to 3 inch spines or thorns. These haws along with the wild grapes, plumbs, berries and nuts provide food aplenty for the abundant wildlife that inhabits the 420-acre park. Bass, crappie, bluegill, perch, bullhead and catfish await the lucky angler who fishes the 73- acre lake. With the hint of frost in the air, Mother Nature tries to outdo her spring display with a fall spectacle. Starting with a splash of scarlet of the Virginia creeper and sumac soon to be joined by the gold's of the maples, oaks and other trees and shrubs the show reaches a climax that gladdens the eye of the beholder.
As our nation struggled to escape the crippling effects of the most devastating depression of its history, the Civilian Conservation Corps was born. More than two million young men served in this program, doing conservation work, between 1933 and 1942. The C.C.C. conserved and developed natural resources by such activities as planting trees, building dams, building recreational buildings, trails, roads and fighting forest fires. It provided training and employment while helping the economy and allowing the participants to maintain their dignity. These young men worked for $30 per month, $5 of which they were allowed to keep and $25 going to their family. Much of the work was hard physical work and handwork, and today still shows the pride of workmanship.
Cooperation between the Federal, State and Local governments, and the help of Mother Nature, brought into being Red Haw Hill State Park. Several hundred thousand-park visitors each year enjoy this park that was built in the mid 1930's. A house was added in 1952 for a full-time park officer. Red Haw has an eighty unit camp area with shower building, water and thirty eight electrical sites, swimming beach, concession building, four picnic shelters, three public toilets, boat ramps, boat docks and a biology research station.