Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving
November 27, 2014

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Lucas County's Fair Genealogy Open Class - August 2, 2010

Even though I was not here for the fair this year, I know many of you attended.  I would like to put Ev Brightman’s comments on this blog.  These were taken from the Lucas County Genealogy Society Newsletter – Oct-Dec 2010.

My hope was to involve the community including youths in the open class.  This year was a reflection of that hope.  We had fourteen participants entering sixty-four items.  Of the fourteen, four were members of our society, seven were adult non-members including three first time exhibitors and three youths, two were first time exhibitors.  There were a variety of entries all well done.  One new exhibitor entered after watching his wife and children’s past entries.  Another entered some wonderful documents, which she had rescued, from an elderly relative’s trash bags that were ready for the burn pile.  I am sure it makes us all shudder to think how much is lost and thankful for preservastion of our histories.  The Best of Show in the youth category went to Nathanial Marts.  He made a large replica of his great grandfather’s barn.  He began with two by fours.  The detail was amazing.  Best of Show in the adult category was my entry of a Miscellaneous Photo of my father, George Butrum, and I age eight, with his pride and joy, a 1952 Chevy five-window cab truck.  It was one of the photo’s I used a his visitation in 2000.  I gave the same pictures to my son’s last Christmas with dye cast models of that picup I found in a woman’s clothing catalogue of all places.


No comments:

Post a Comment